Writer-director Adam Nelson runs his production company, Apple Park Films Ltd and works with up-and-coming filmmakers and screenwriters to develop projects. He is a big supporter of regional filmmaking and wants to develop filmmaking outside of the larger metropolitan cities. Chris Watt is an award winning screenwriter, novelist and film journalist.
In a wide-ranging conversation with Film Forums host Aiysha Jebali, Adam and Chris discuss topics like:
- How to produce a independent movie on a very low budget
- Making short films as a stepping stone to feature films
- Learning to shoot on a budget without compromising on story
- Using Twitter to network with other filmmakers and creatives
- Form relationships with local businesses
- The reality of writing a script on spec
- The importance of being receptive to feedback as a writer
- What a director’s job actually involves (hint: it’s not about ruling with an iron fist)
- Aiysha’s dog (yes, really!)
This is an interview not to be missed if you are an aspiring filmmaker – and, in particular, a screenwriter looking to embark on a career in the film and television industry.
Scottish Tunisian actress. Yes, that’s a thing. BAME. POC.